Once You Know, You Newegg cell phone accessories 80% off
Meology: The Study of Ones(humorous)Self

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Southern Hospitality

I am a southern girl and I love it. I live in the southeastern U.S. and many people tend to think that we in the south have some sort of accent. Well, we in the south think that northerners are the ones with the funny accents. Here in the south, we have our own distinct ways. Let me start off first by telling you about:

Things You May Learn From Living In The South
  • A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road
  • If it grows, it'll stick ya; if it crawls, it'll bite cha
  • You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH 'em!
  • It is not a "shopping cart"-it's a "buggy"
  • The first day of deer season is considered a southern holiday
  • How to measure distance in minutes
  • It is not unusual to switch from heat to A/C in the same day
  • We know all four seasons as: Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer and Christmas
  • We don't need no dang driver's ed! If our mama says we can drive, we can drive dag-nabbit!
  • Fried catfish is the "other" white meat
  • There are only five spices: salt, pepper, ketchup, Texas Pete and Tobasco
  • Ice Tea is appropriate for all meals and we started drinking it when we were two. We also like a little tea with our sugar!
  • Local newspapers cover national and international news on one page, but requires 6 pages for local gossip and motor sports.

A Few Southern Vocabulary Words
  • "Onced" means "I done told you onced"
  • "Twiced" means "don't make me tell ya twiced!"
  • "Jaw-P" means "did y'all go to the bathroom"
  • "Fixinto"- is one word and means "fixing to"
  • "Jeet" means "Did ya eat?"
  • "Naw. Jew?" is a common response to the question "Did you bring any beer?" and means "no, did you?"
  • "Sumpn Teet" means "Do you want something to eat?"
  • "Hey" means "hello" and is not the same as "hay"
  • "Ya'll or Y'all" means "all of you people"

Though there are many more Southern slang words, these are just a few I thought might needed to be translated. I reserve the right to add to this list words as I see fit. All comments welcome.

Would you like to know the meaning of these words?
Squigger
Woowad
Blooblehead
Pillsburglar
and a few more you never heard of!

Visit SNIGLETS at Scrappin"!

4 comments:

This was very funny. Living in Texas since four years ago, I've been learning my way around some of these southernisms. It is a whole different language culture out here. I'm glad you put up a mini dictionary of the most necessary ones.

March 18, 2008 at 9:02 AM  

Yes, this is funny! Especially since when I first moved to GA I couldn't understand one word of what anyone said! Now I get accused of sounding "country!"

March 19, 2008 at 3:33 PM  

How true. I'm Georgia born and raised. Though my girls got their tea before they were even a full year old.

You might also add potluck...meaning everybody getting together and bringing somethin and the pot might be lucky - but then again it might not, so you better be sure whose pot it is before you start eating

March 20, 2008 at 12:45 PM  

I am still laughing and thought I could not laugh any harder until I read the next post on men and sex. You know the part that caused me to laugh the hardest. I grew up in Kentucky and then lived in Georgia for 15 years. My communication skills are right smart hurtin' for sure, but bless my heart, I keep a-tryin'. Steve Kirk blogs on senior health at www.theperfectsense.cocm.

March 22, 2008 at 9:52 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home